In this blog, you will learn the causes of “QuickBooks Unexpected error 5” and various solutions to fix it efficiently. Further, we have simplified the methods for a better understanding. If you have tried all of the above fixes for your QuickBooks error but are still experiencing problems, it may be time to consider contacting QuickBooks customer support to get help alleviating the error code.
Reasons that Triggers Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks
QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 is one of the QuickBooks errors that affect various QuickBooks versions, including QuickBooks Point of Sale. QuickBooks Error Code 5 might appear while installing POS hardware, opening QuickBooks functions, or while accessing the company file in multi-user set up. Intuit® has suggested multiple work around to cope with the error, and you will find all of them with step-by-step instructions in this article. We suggest you apply the solutions in the given sequence to avoid unnecessary efforts resolving QuickBooks Desktop error 5.
How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Message 5?
QuickBooks giving error message 5 “An Unexpected Error Has Occurred” prevents you from accessing your company file location. In this situation, you may not be able to access your company records, and therefore, you need to fix the error immediately. Below are some of the most effective solutions that can help you to get rid of QuickBooks Giving Error Message 5.
Solution 1: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
If none of the troubleshooting steps helps then as a final troubleshooting step, we are required to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop application.
1. Press Windows + R and type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
2. Double-click QuickBooks and follow the instructions displayed on the screen to completely remove the application and its features from Windows.
3. Click the link and visit QuickBooks Desktop Download page.
4. Select the correct product and version and then click Search.
Solution 2: Recreate QuickBooks Company File User
Steps to Remove the User
1. Open QuickBooks Desktop and from under the Company tab select Users.
2. Select the option that says Set up Users and Roles.
3. Now from under the User List, select the user and click Delete.
4. Press yes for the confirmation.
Solution 3: Turn-off User Account Control on Windows
1. Click the Start button from the left bottom corner of your Windows Desktop.
2. Select Control Panel from the list of programs at the right side panel.
3. From the search bar at the top search for User Account.
4. Now select User Account and then click Change User Account Control Settings.
5. Click Yes and move the slider to Never Notify.
Solution 4: Provide File Share Access
1. Firstly, you need to give file share access for resolving QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5.
2. Now, open file explorer and right-click on the folder where the company file is saved.
3. Meanwhile, you have to choose Properties and click on the Sharing tab.
4. After that, choose full or partial sharing based upon your business requirements.
When the QuickBooks Database Service user is restricted to access the file location, the user may lead to QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5. This error displays with a warning message “Got Unexpected Error 5 in a call to NetShareGetInfo for Path”. The main cause of unexpected error 5 is invalid entries in the Windows registry or the system is not configured accordingly.
Still Getting QuickBooks Unexpected Error code 5
If you are still getting the same error after performing all the above-described troubleshooting procedures, then reach out to a professional for fast error resolution. QuickBooks expert will troubleshoot the unexpected Error 5. If you face any problem related to your QuickBooks software then we are available 24 × 7 Live Chat to help you.
Related Post: How to Learn QuickBooks Error 15215