Daily hundreds of chemical reactions takes place in a laboratory. Each one of them is hazardous in some or the other way. Hence it is very important to maintain all the safety measures in a laboratory. Not only for the safety of the lab but safety of each single employer working there is very important. There are times when some reactions can produce harmful gases. Inhalation of these gases can be really harmful for health. What should be done in those cases? Fume hoods are really helpful in such cases.
What are fume hoods?
As the name suggests, fume hoods are structures which are used to remove the harmful air out of a room. It is a type of ventilation, which is mainly designed to show an outside path to the hazardous air inside a lab or a room.
There are many chemicals which on reaction can produce some toxic gases. This contamination in the air should be removed as soon as possible. Fume hoods have special usage in laboratories. They reduce the risks of hazardous activities in a laboratory by minimizing the amount and exposure to the harmful gases which develops in a lab.
Why stainless steel fume hood?
Fume hoods are important but have you ever wondered why stainless steel fume hoods are more efficient. There are various benefits of using a stainless steel fume hood. Let us discuss some of them.
- There are various workbenches in a laboratory. Each workbench may need a Portable Fume Hoods. Installing so many fume hood can be expensive. Hence using stainless steel for installation of fume hoods reduces the cost. This way both the requirements can be fulfilled, the workers can work in a safer environment as well as the cost can also be managed.
- Stainless steel does not get corroded, this makes it one of the main reason for using it. The fume hoods gets exposed to various types of chemical gases. Some can be toxic and some can lead to corrosion as well. Since stainless steel is tolerant to corrosion that makes it more durable.
- Another advantage of using stainless steel fume hood is that they are easy to clean. Continuous use of the fume hood can lead to contamination of the fume hood. Hence it needs to be cleaned time to time. Stainless steel fume hoods can be decontaminated very easily.
- Ductless Fume Hoods also provides a protection against various toxic fumes. These are compatible for any sort of dust and fumes. The only disadvantage of a stainless steel fume hood is that they are not tolerant against some acids.
- Stainless steel fume hoods are highly tolerable to moisture and heat. This makes them tough against any uncertainty.
These are the various benefits of using a stainless steel fume hood in a laboratory. Hence stainless steel proves to be a good choice as a laboratory equipment. They can provide protection against various types of chemical and hazardous fumes which are developed or produced in a laboratory. Thus stainless steel proves to be a best option.